A Healthy Halloween Appetizer: Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Did you carve a jack-o’-lantern this weekend? If you did, then chances are you have a handful or two of fresh pumpkin seeds sitting on your kitchen counter. Instead of throwing them away, roast them for a Halloween treat that is just as healthy as it is delicious.
Pumpkins seeds are a terrific source of vitamins and minerals that your body needs. They are very high in magnesium and zinc, which will help to keep your digestion tract functioning well and improve your skin, hair and nails. Zinc is also linked to improved sleep patterns and immune system health – perfect for this time of year!
The best part about this healthy snack is that even your kids will love them. After they helped you scoop out the seeds and carve the pumpkin, eating the roasted seeds is a fun reward for all of their hard work!
Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 cups fresh, raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, stirring until pumpkin seeds are completely covered in spices and oil
- Spread the seeds out on a cookie sheet, then bake for 45 minutes or until seeds are golden brown.
- Cool before serving