Healthy and Spring-y Green Bean Casserole
I don’t know about you but I’m so ready for spring. This has been one long, cold winter! I know it’s still early in the season and a winter chill is still in the air, but some early spring produce has already arrived, and I’m taking full advantage!
Green beans are part of that early spring bounty, which makes March the perfect time for a good ol’ green bean casserole! Sure, it might remind you of Thanksgiving, but I think it’s also an excellent “halfway” recipe (that is, halfway between winter and spring). It’s warm and filling, yet features one of spring’s star vegetables!
The only catch? Most green bean casseroles are not in the least bit healthy. Especially if you’re going the classic cream of mushroom soup route…eek! Luckily, I’ve got you covered with a deliciously healthy version of this traditional dish. Give it a try, and I promise you’ll be cooking up green bean casserole from now ‘til November!
Healthy Spring Green Bean Casserole
- 1/2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- ½ pound green beans, with ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs (use these to make this dish Gluten Free!)
- Add the dried porcini mushrooms to a bowl with 3 cups of boiling water. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven the 375°F. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to a strainer, run under cold water for 30 seconds, then set aside.
- After 20 minutes, remove the porcini mushrooms from the water, and roughly chop.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the chopped porcini mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then cook for 3 to 5 more minutes or until onions start to brown.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans and the onion mixture. Stir in the Greek yogurt and the Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the bread crumbs. Cook for 20 minutes, and then serve warm!