5 Ways To Detox In 2013 (Without Cutting Anything Out)
At the beginning of a new year, everyone seems to go diet crazy - and “detoxing” is always the hot topic. When you hear the word “detox,” you probably think of juice cleanses, cutting out all of your favorite foods, or generally feeling hungry and deprived. At the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, I learned an awesome trick called “crowding out” - which focuses on adding things into your diet and lifestyle instead of cutting things out.The idea behind this concept is that the more health-enhancing things you add in, the less you’ll rely on (or even want) the things that aren’t as healthy.
We’re exposed to a lot of toxins out in the world - from the foods we eat, to the products we use, to the environmental pollutants. Our bodies are constantly working hard to remove waste and toxins. If we can focus on adding things into our daily lives that help promote the removal of toxins and a cleansing of our system, we can have more energy to do the things we really enjoy. There are a lot of ways to help your body get into it’s natural rhythm of detoxing by focusing on what you add in. Here are a few habits to add in that will make you feel lighter, happier and healthier in 2013:
1) Eat seasonal foods. According to Dr. John Douillard, our bodies are designed to detox with the seasons. When you eat produce that’s naturally available in each season, you begin a cycle that’s in harmony with nature’s tools for proper detoxification. Learn more about choosing seasonal produce.
2) Load up on greens. Leafy greens are superheroes when it comes to digestion (which plays a huge role in detoxing), flooding your body with nutrients, preventing disease, strengthening the immune system, and much more. Greens can help your body “clean house” in every way, so eat them in salads, add them into smoothies, and start a love affair with them. Get some great greens recipes.
3) Drink lots of pure water. Aside from being vital for sustaining life, water helps flush out toxins, remove waste, aids in digestion and helps everything run more smoothly. Adding more water to your diet is possibly the easiest way to supercharge your health, and has a tremendous impact. Starting your day with warm lemon water is ideal for digestion!
4) Drink smoothies and juices. I’m talking about fresh smoothies and juices that are loaded with fruits and vegetables (preferably leafy greens). Drinking your veggies gives you a huge does of super-concentrated nutrition with minimal digestive work. Detoxification and digestion will improve, and you’ll see your cravings for unhealthy foods start to diminish! Here are some juice and smoothie recipe ideas.
5) Add in detoxifying herbs and spices. There are many herbs and spices out there that have detoxifying effects (and also taste amazing), including cinnamon, turmeric, cilantro, ginger, garlic and cayenne. Experiment with bold flavors and healthy condiments.
In this new year, put a new spin on detoxing and make it a fun way to add in new, healthy habits. Before long, you may realize that your “vices” may just fade out naturally!
Jenny Sansouci is the publisher of HealthyCrush.com, where she writes about nutrition, health, yoga and personal development. She is a Certified Health Coach and graduate of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, with a certificate in Food Therapy from the Natural Gourmet Institute.