Easy Kale and Lentil Soup for a Warm Winter Dinner
January is a time to focus on intentions for the year ahead by setting goals and making new healthy habits. In many parts of the world, January also happens to be one of the coldest months of the year. Chilly weather evokes cravings for warm, hearty meals, and healthy goals often include clean eating with an emphasis on fresh, nutrient-rich ingredients.
Thanks to recipes like this one from Integrative Nutrition student Alissa Novotny of Girl Makes Food, you can satisfy your cravings in a nourishing way that aligns with your health goals. This soup is full of vitamins, antioxidants, and immunity boosters, and most importantly, delicious flavor. Make a pot on Sunday to enjoy throughout the week!
Kale and Lentil Soup
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups red lentils, rinsed
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bunch kale, remove stem and roughly chop
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Parsley, chopped then measured
- ½ lemon zest
- Add the vegetable broth, carrots, onions, kale, and garlic to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and let cook until the lentils are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes, parsley, and lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy!
What’s your favorite warm winter meal?