Gluten-Free and Flavor-Packed Quinoa Risotto
Living gluten-free isn’t as hard as it might sound. Thanks to grains like quinoa and millet, it’s easy to skip the processed, gluten-free versions of bread and pasta, and make a naturally gluten-free and super satisfying dish!
We love this recipe from Australian health coaching duo Candice and Curtis. Their three onion quinoa risotto is packed with flavor, so it feels like you are indulging, but the ingredients couldn’t be healthier! If you’re looking for a delicious dinner option this week, give this risotto a try.
Three Onion Quinoa Risotto
- 2 cups white quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1 cube MSG-free vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup brown onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (refrigerate can of coconut milk, and use the cream that separates from the liquid)
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa. Bring the water to boil in a saucepan along with the vegetable stock. Reduce the heat, add the quinoa and simmer until all of the water has been absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat coconut oil in a separate pan. Add the three onions and sauté gently for a few minutes. Add the zucchini and continue to cook until tender. Take off the heat and stir in the coconut cream, lemon juice, garlic and ginger.
- Mix the cooked quinoa into the onion/zucchini mix, along with nutritional yeast. Stir to combine well. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Makes enough for 4 people.