Grill Your Greens: Vegan Hawaiian Salad
Are you planning a barbeque or neighborhood block party this summer? Whether you’re grilling up some veggie burgers or barbequing chicken, one summer side dish that is sure to liven up your next outdoor party is this Grilled Vegan Hawaiian Salad from Girl Makes Food!
The best feature of this salad is that it’s made of hearty summer vegetables that are all grilled to perfection before being chopped and dressed. The dark, charred pieces give this dish an incredible smoky flavor that complements the brightness of bell pepper and the sweet pineapple. Get ready to awaken all of your taste buds with this delicious dish!
Grilled Vegan Hawaiian Salad
- 1 (large) head bok choy (cut in half)
- 1 Vidalia onion (cut into 3 lengthwise)
- 1 bell pepper (cut in half and remove the seeds and stem)
- ½ fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Chili garlic paste (optional, to taste)
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the grill.
- Start the quinoa in a pot (bring to a boil, turn the heat to low with a lid, let cook about 10-15 minutes.)
- Add the veggies to the grill.
- Grill until they get grill marks and begin to soften (about 5 minutes on each side.)
- Remove the veggies from the grill and chop them (carefully – they are hot. You may want to let them cool a little first.)
- In a large bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients
- Add the veggies and quinoa (when it’s cooked) to the dressing.
- Give it a good toss and serve!
What are you grilling this summer?