Perfect Healthy Halloween Meal: Vegan Chili with Kale
Happy Halloween! If your family is trick-or-treating this evening, it’s important to fill up with a nourishing meal before you head out. Having a belly full of whole foods will help regulate blood sugar levels, and leave both you and young ones less tempted to munch on candy throughout the night. What better way to protect yourself from sugar shock than with a homemade bowl of hearty chili?
We recommend this delicious vegan chili recipe from 2006 graduate Dani Spies. The sweetness of the butternut squash will naturally satisfy your sweet tooth, and the heartiness of the beans will keep you feeling satiated for hours. Even if you aren’t trick-or-treating, check out these suggestions for tips to celebrate a healthy Halloween!
Butternut Squash Chili with Kale
Makes 10 cups
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 bell peppers (1 red & 1 green), chopped
- ½-1 jalapeno, diced
- 4 cups of butternut squash cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3-15oz cans of beans, rinsed and drained (black, pinto, or kidney beans)
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp of curry powder
- 2 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of veggie broth
- 1 bunch of kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once heated, stir in onions, jalapeno and garlic, along with a pinch of salt. Allow to cook for about two minutes or so.
- Stir in bell peppers and cook another two minutes. Add squash, curry, chili powder, and cumin. Then give everything a good stir.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and broth. Turn heat to high and bring everything to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook until the butternut squash is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add kale to the pot and cover for about 5 minutes or until the kale wilts down. Give everything one last stir. Adjust seasoning if necessary, and finish with some chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Connect with Dani: