Prioritize Yourself and Thrive
Yes, you are your highest priority. Thriving begins with you.Taking care of you.Putting “you” first.
Very often we focus on giving.Giving our time, energy, resources, more time, more energy….Giving is awesome.But to keep the balance we must also receive.
To thrive we fuel ourselves with self-respect, joy and love.Become a sponge and absorb the gifts life has to offer us.We often look to others to boost us up.But our most powerful energy source comes from within.
Realize it is not what you receive from others, but what you receive from yourself!Own your amazingness.Giving to yourself is NOT optional.It is as necessary as oxygen, water and food.
Break free from martyrdom.You don’t have to be miserableYou don’t have to feel drained.
When you put yourself last you are actually cheating others from your brilliance. It goes without saying that you are cheating yourself but when we think about how it is affecting others it can spark action. Do you see how putting your needs on the back burner is creating a cycle of frustration? Ignite yourself AND those around you by taking some time for you.
You can start out small.Take a few minutes a day to read something inspiring.Ten minutes to stretch before your shower.
A lunchtime walk to fill your lungs with fresh air and clear your head. Build up to the yoga class you have been promising yourself you would take. Commit to the friends-night out you have been rescheduling for months.
That is how it starts.Prioritizing yourself is energizing.You will have the same 24/7 but, oh, what you will do with every minute!
Five real life ways to make prioritizing you a priority:
1. Create goals and take inspired action everyday
- Ask yourself key questions to determine how best you can give yourself the attention you deserve
- What do I love to do? Who do you really want to spend time with? What makes you feel energized and positive?
2. Schedule the time to take actions toward your goals
- Use your calendar to block out chunks of time to focus on what feeds your mind, body and soul
- The more detail the better—when, where, how long….
3. Surround yourself with people who support you
- Bring an awareness to the people you spend the most time with
- Are they supportive of your goals or are they dragging you into the “who has the harder life” endless cycle of complaining?
4. Repeat positive affirmations
- Our thoughts become words and feeling which create our reality
- What you think about you bring about
- Think about how you want to feel and practice language that supports your goals—“I am important and take steps to thrive every day”
5. Say goodbye to guilt
- When you prioritize you are not taking anything away form anyone else
- Shift your thinking
- The way you feel about yourself will be reflected in everyone you love and meet
- You deserve the time, energy and effort it takes to thrive
MaryAnn Jones is the founder and owner of Thrive Naturally. She is a Certified Health Coach and a graduate of the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. She creates holistic wellness programs for individuals, groups, families and organizations. You can find out more at ThriveNaturally.com.