Quick and Seasonal Vegan Garlic and Asparagus Pasta
As spring starts to fade into summer, more and more of our favorite produce is in season. Right now, we can’t get enough of the fresh asparagus that’s been making its debut at the farmer’s market this month. Asparagus is not only tasty, but it’s also a nutritional powerhouse. This herbaceous plant, in the company of Brussels sprouts and kale, is very high in fiber, vitamin A, C, E and K. It is also rich in antioxidants and has strong anti-aging properties as it helps the brain fight cognitive decline.
Cooking asparagus can be easy and quick as well. Just chop them up and throw them in your steamer, or add them to a quick spring vegetable stir-fry. This recipe for vegan roasted garlic and asparagus pasta from Girl Makes Food is a great way to incorporate asparagus into a quick weeknight dinner dish!
Vegan Roasted Garlic and Asparagus Pasta
- 2 bunches asparagus (cut off the woody stem and slice)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled but left whole)
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb pasta
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Optional: ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees
- In a medium bowl toss the asparagus, garlic and mushrooms with the olive oil
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the asparagus gets brown
- While the veggies are baking, add the pasta and vegetable broth to a large pot
- Bring to a boil, and cook until the pasta is al dente (check the package for cook time.) You will need to stir a few times, because this is just enough broth to cook the pasta without having to drain it
- Chop up the roasted garlic cloves
- When the pasta is cooked, add to the pot with the pasta: the roasted veggies, diced tomatoes, garlic, balsamic, and salt and pepper to your liking
What is your favorite asparagus recipe?