Spring Detox: Apple, Radish and Arugula Salad
Spring is in full bloom, and with the change of seasons comes the change of produce on your plate. According to Ayurveda, many foods with a deep red color – beets in the fall, radishes in the spring, or berries in the summer – are great for detoxing your liver and supplying fresh oxygen to the blood.
Now that radishes are in season, this is a great time to start incorporating these crunchy, slightly spicy vegetables into your diet. If you aren’t a fan of their strong bitterness, try roasting them whole with the greens on for a hearty side dish. You can also munch on them raw with a sprinkle of sea salt for an afternoon snack with a kick!
We love to get our daily radish fix with this salad from Integrative Nutrition graduate, Chantal Soeters, Class of 2012. The radishes are a perfect complement to the more neutral flavors of the apple and avocado. Add this salad to your Mother’s Day spread and it’s sure to be a hit!
- 10 radishes, finely sliced
- 2 cups of arugula
- 1 apple, cut in bite-size chunks
- 1 avocado cut in bite-size chunks
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in large salad bowl.
- Enjoy it as a side dish or on its own!