Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms: The Perfect Holiday Party Appetizer
It’s that time of year again – the season to dust off your dancing shoes, RSVP to invitations, wrap gifts, and join your friends in celebrating the holidays! Whether you are throwing a holiday party or attending one, it’s important to have a few healthy holiday appetizer recipes on hand. We have a lot for you to choose from in our list of 101 Healthy Holiday Recipes. This recipe for Vegan Stuffed Baby Portobellos from Vegan Piggy is the perfect light and healthy appetizer for your next holiday party!
Stuffed Baby Portobellos
- 1 1/2 lb. baby portobellos – the bigger the better! (Or button mushrooms)
- 1 1/2 c. fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Process about 2 slices of whole wheat bread in a food processor. You can use prepared breadcrumbs, but whenever possible, use fresh. This makes about 1 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs. It's also a great way to use up the heels of your loaves. Set aside.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and chop them up.
- Brush one of the tablespoons of oil around in a 13x9 inch pan. Heat the rest of the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Stir in salt, and then breadcrumbs, basil, and parsley. Evenly distribute mixture on to mushroom caps.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of your mushroom caps. Keep an eye out that they don't get too brown. Serve with a fresh salad, and enjoy!