Raw Kale Salad, a Perfect Summer Lunch
If you often pack a lunch to bring to work with you, you probably know how difficult it can be to bring a salad. The lettuce gets wilted if you dress it before work, but you run the risk of spilling dressing in your bag if you pack the dressing on the side. Kale is the answer to this frustrating salad dilemma. Kale leaves are very durable and can withstand days of sitting in dressing. In fact, kale just gets softer and more delicious as it sits.
Next time you decide to make a salad for lunch, give this Raw Kale Confetti Salad with Toasted Sunflower Salad from Integrative Nutrition graduate Terry Walters a try. The fresh flavors of the bell pepper, onion, and ginger are perfect for a midday pick-me-up. If you need a little extra protein, add some grilled tofu or chicken, or toss in a few slices of mandarin oranges for sweetness. The only thing you have to worry about is your co-workers’ lunch envy!
Raw Kale Confetti Salad with Toasted Sunflower Seeds
- 2 bunches kale (about 4 heaping cups chopped)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Remove stalks from kale and discard. Chop leaves into small pieces and place in mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and, using your fingers, gently massage oil into leaves. Sprinkle with sea salt and ginger, add avocado and continue massaging until leaves are evenly coated. Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add onion, red pepper, carrot and sunflower seeds, and toss. Drizzle lemon and lime juice over salad, massage juices into leaves and toss to distribute ingredients evenly. Season to taste with salt, massage one last time and serve.