With warmer weather come cravings of iced beverages and melted ice cream galore. And while it’s easy to pop into the closest coffee shop or fro yo spot, it’s equally as easy (and definitely healthier) to turn to the kitchen.
OK, so a little prep work may require more effort than pulling out a wallet, but DIY iced treats will help that vacation fund grow and minimize consumption of processed sugars (What’s not to like?). So bust out those ice trays, fill ‘em with coffee, and prepare for a treat that provides both the caffeine kick of iced coffee and creamy indulgence of a milkshake (without that stomachache). Extra bonus? Almond milk is packed with vitamins and cinnamon fights inflammation.
Craving something thicker? Simply toss all the ingredients in a blender. Feeling adventurous? Experiment with almond and coconut milk flavors or add fresh mint.
Makes 1 serving
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2-3 coffee ice cubes
2-3 drops liquid stevia
1 dash ground cinnamon
1. Brew a fresh pot of coffee using whichever method you prefer
2. Pour coffee into ice tray
3. Freeze for an hour (or overnight, if time allows)
4. Place coffee ice cubes into a cup
5. Pour almond milk over the ice cubes
6. Add stevia and stir using a spoon
7. Add a dash of cinnamon to the top
8. Drink up!