On a hot summer day, few things taste as good as ice cream. But dairy can be heavy and hard to digest—which is why I recommend swapping out traditional ice cream for one made with a banana base. Bananas offer a creamy consistency that satisfies any frozen treat craving, and they're chock full of nutrients (without any added sugars). Enjoy this treat for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert!
This recipe goes above and beyond by incorporating summer fruit and an extra serving of fun. Enjoy!
What You'll Need:
- 3-4 medium-large bananas
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh blackberries
What to Do:
- Peel and chop the bananas, one at a time.
- Place each banana in its own zip-lock bag, making three bags total. Place in the freezer and freeze overnight.
- Remove bananas from the freezer and let them thaw for 15 minutes.
- With a food processor or powerful blender, add the banana pieces from one bag. Blend with vanilla extract and 1/3 cup water until smooth and thick.
- Scoop an equal amount into the bottom of three individual serving dishes.
- Rinse the blender or food processor container before blending the next layer.
- Next, add another bag of frozen banana pieces, along with strawberries, to the blender or food processor. If they are fresh, do not add additional water. If they are frozen, add 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth.
- Distribute evenly among the three serving dishes to complete the second layer.
- Rinse the food processor or blender.
- For the last layer, add the blueberries and blackberries to the blender or food processor. If the blueberries are frozen, add 1/4 cup water. If not, don't add the water. Blend until smooth.
- Distribute evenly among the three serving dishes to top off the final layer.
- Serve immediately.