8 Quick and Creative Avocado Recipes
Let's cut to the chase: avocado is the best.
Just thinking about a big bowl of guacamole makes me feel like I'm on vacation, and finding a big chunk of avocado in a salad is better than finding a $20 in your coat pocket! It's creamy, tangy, and the perfect mix of savory and sweet, making it an amazing complement to just about every dish. Plus, it just so happens to be incredible for your health.
Avocado is one of the great healing fruits. Its monounsaturated fats and potassium help to protect the body against heart disease, high blood pressure, and stroke. Its omega-3 fatty acids lubricate the joints and reduce arthritic symptoms. For those who struggle with the inflammation caused by asthma and allergies, the antioxidants and fatty alcohols found in the flesh and oil of the avocado help to reduce and stabilize inflammation, offering an organic alternative to pharmacopeia antihistamines.
Because avocado is so awesome, we're always looking for new ways to incorporate it into each and every meal. We know it's great for guac and salads, but how can you fit some avocado into an after work snack? A morning pick-me up? Pretty easily, actually.
Here are 8 great ideas for getting more of the delicious, nutrition-packed avocado into every day.
WT-Approved Quick & Creative Avocado Recipes
- Avocado on toast: Simple but delicious! Toast 1 or 2 slices of Ezekial bread, add hummus and 1-3 avocado slices. Sprinkle lightly with pepper or salt and enjoy!
- Avocado chicken salad: Dice the following ingredients: one cooked boneless chicken breast, 1 avocado, 1 tomato, and 1-2 stalks of celery. Place these in a medium-sized mixing bowl, then add 1/2 cup of slivered almonds, the juice of a full lemon, 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. For a creamier version, add 1-2 tablspoons mayonnaise.
- Avocado mango salad: Chop up 1 avocado and half a mango, and sprinkle over a bed of arugula. Add a few pieces of cilantro and squeeze half a lemon over the mix to finish off this healthy and zesty summer salad.
- Avocado salsa: Dice 1-2 avocados, 1-2 tomatoes, 1 chile pepper, and half an onion. Place in a medium to large mixing bowl and add 2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon vinegar, and the juice of half a lemon. Mix with a large wooden spoon and you have the perfect salsa for chips or fish!
- Egg-in-an-avocado: Most of us have heard of eggs-in-a-basket, but egg-in-an-avocado is a great and gluten-free way to enjoy this age-old recipe. Garnish with pepper and chives!
- Open-faced avocado and kale sandwich: Chop 1/4 tomato and 1/4 red onion and set aside. Slather two slices of bread with hummus. Place 2-3 slices of avocado on each slice, then add the chopped onions and tomato. Sprinkle lightly with pepper or salt. Place a whole or half a kale leaf over the sandwich. If the bite of uncooked kale feels like too much, steam the kale for 3-4 minutes before adding it to the sandwich (or just give your kale a good massage!).
- Roasted carrot and avocado salad: For a hearty dinner, we love this roasted carrot and avocado salad.
- Avocado with salt: This is an old favorite! Slice 1 ripe avocado in half and take out the pit. Add salt and pepper to taste and eat with a spoon. Perfect for an after work snack!
What's your favorite way to eat avocado? Share it with us in the comment section below!