If you're getting bored of the go-to guac or salsa, look no further than this recipe for homemade salsa verde. The color is a feast for the eyes and the taste is fresh and unique, packing a spicy punch. Take advantage of the last of summer's fresh produce and make this delicious and fragrant salsa verde sauce that is perfect for parties and snacking. Enjoy!
Recipe: Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
What You'll Need:
1 pound tomatillos (or green tomatoes)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeeded and roughly chopped
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon chili pepper
1/4 of a bunch of cilantro
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of half a lime
Salt and pepper to taste
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the tomatillos in half and place them on a baking sheet with the jalapenos, onion, and garlic.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove veggies from oven and let cool.
- Once cool, place contents of baking sheet in food processor or blender with the lemon, salt, pepper, chilli pepper, cumin, and cilantro.
- Adding olive oil in a steady stream, blend until mixture is smooth and even in texture.
- Taste test and add additional seasonings according to preferences. Serve with tortilla chips, and enjoy!