Vegetarian black bean soup is a healthy, hearty, and easy to make meal that will keep you warmed up all winter. I love topping this soup with a spoonful of Greek yogurt, a few slices of avocado, and fresh cilantro. Keep it vegan by omitting the yogurt, or make it heartier for meat-lovers by adding some sautéed chorizo sausage to the mix.
Recipe: Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
What You'll Need:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 15-ounce cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
3 cups water
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
What to Do:
- In a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, stir to coat with the oil, and cook, stirring once or twice, until the onions are translucent, about five minutes.
- Stir in the spices, salt, pepper and garlic, and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add in the black beans, stir to combine with the spices and onions and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir in the water and bay leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Now it's time to blend. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup for about one minute. It shoud be mostly pureed, but still with some good chunks and texture. some of the soup. If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer a couple ladles of soup to a traditional blender to puree, then return the puree to the pot.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately with whatever toppings you prefer!