Skinny Coconut Pomegranate Margarita for Cinco de Mayo
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
I don’t know about you, but I always love a reason to celebrate or throw a party. And if there happens to be margaritas and guacamole involved, I’m okay with that too. In high school and college, I loved frozen strawberry margaritas with sugar around the rim. But over the years, my stomach has become more sensitive and can’t handle that much sugar anymore. If I drank those strawberry margs now, my body would not be pleased with me!
But even without the tummy troubles, downing such a sweet drink isn’t such a great idea. It’s an indisputable fact that most of us consume far too much sugar (this includes artificial sweeteners!). This overconsumption of sugar affects not only our waistlines, but also our brains. When we eat sugar, there’s no doubt that it makes us feel good. However, that feeling, and the foods that cause it, can become severely addicting. As neuroscientist Dr. Nicole M. Avena puts it, “the key is to treat sugar like a drug and act in ways that satisfy your appetite, not your addiction.”
Thankfully, decreasing your sugar intake doesn’t have to put a damper on your fiesta this Cinco de Mayo. This delicious margarita recipe leaves out the sugar overload that you’ll find in many premixed margs, without sacrificing any flavor. I also added in coconut water for extra hydration and pomegranate juice to provide antioxidants, so you’ll be doing your body good while having a great time.
Make the recipe your own by adding your favorite flavors of all-natural, freshly squeezed juice! Olé!
Super Skinny Coco-Pomegranate Margarita
- 2 oz organic tequila
- 4 oz organic coconut water
- 2 oz organic pomegranate juice
- 1 organic lime, one half juiced, the other sliced into wedges
- Himalayan sea salt for the rim
- Handful of ice
- Put the salt in a shallow circular dish large enough for the rim of your margarita glass.
- Coat the rim using a lime wedge (this will allow the salt to stick to your glass),spin the rim in the salt dish, and set aside.
- Mix together the tequila, coconut water, pomegranate juice, juice of half of a lime, and ice in a mixed drink shaker (if you don’t have a shaker, just mix the ingredients by pouring them back and forth between two glasses).
- Pour your margarita into your salted glass, and enjoy!
Complete your fiesta with healthy and delicious guacamole and corn chips!
What’s your favorite healthy mixed drink? Share your recipes or ideas in the comments section below. I can’t wait to hear what you come up with!