Sweet and Savory Kale Salad
There is something incredibly satisfying about digging into a salad that tastes just as good as it looks. This sweet and savory kale salad is vibrant and has just the right amount of sweetness, tanginess, and crunch to every bite. I like to serve it as a side, or enjoy as a refreshing, light lunch. It also makes for the perfect first course to serve at your next dinner party. Not only will your guests be impressed by the elegance of this salad, but they’ll also be blown away by its amazing flavor.
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups kale, pretty finely chopped
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (dried cherries are great, too!)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese (omit if you’re dairy free)
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- ½ cup of Greek yogurt
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp raw honey
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Place the chickpeas in a bowl and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper, then lay them flat on a lined, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Once cooked, let cool and set aside.
2. Place all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Set aside and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
3. Place kale in large bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and a pinch of sea salt. Using your hands, massage the olive oil and lemon juice into the kale until leaves are soft (about 2-5 min should do the trick). If you’ve never done it before, check out this quick video tutorial on how to massage kale!
4. Assemble your salad. Pour the dressing on the kale and toss well to combine. Add in the roasted chickpeas, dried cranberries, avocado, goat cheese, and red onion, and toss gently. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Spoon the salad into bowls, serve immediately, and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite kale salad recipe? Share it with us in the comments below!