Vegan Carrot Pumpkin Cake
When spring rolls around, all I want to do is bake. Something about the warm weather makes me want to throw open all the windows, put on some great tunes, roll up my sleeves, and start whisking, mixing, and frosting. Not surprisingly, my favorite ingredients to sneak into cake and other baked goodies are vegetables. It’s actually pretty easy, since puréed veggies like pumpkin or squash are an excellent alternative to butter and eggs. Shredded vegetables like zucchini, beets, or carrots are also a great addition to add texture, sweetness, and moisture to a cake.
This spring, I’m taking advantage of the very tail end of carrot season by baking up my favorite Vegan Carrot Pumpkin Cake. This cake is dense, decadent, and perfect proof that pumpkin isn’t just for fall baking anymore! It’s full of sweet vegetables, so the glaze isn’t necessary, but if you have a sweet tooth like me, I highly recommend it! You can also experiment with making this recipe gluten-free by using an all-purpose gluten-free flour. Happy baking!
For the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two small (5x3) loaf pans with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixture, beat the coconut oil and brown sugar until light and fluffy, and then add the pumpkin, carrots, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer, mixing until only just combined.
- Divide the batter between the two pans, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove loaves from pans and set aside to cool.
- If you’re making the glaze, simply whisk ingredients together, then carefully pour over the completely cooled cake.