Vegan Protein Packed Coconut Pancakes
It’s almost Memorial Day weekend, which means many of us are getting ready to pack up and get out of town for a couple of days. However, if you’re like me and don’t have a trip planned, you may be looking forward to getting in a little R&R right in your own hometown! With the extra day off work, and everyone cleared out for their mini-trips, you’ll have the time, and the peace and quiet, to pick up a good book, go for a run, or lay out in the sunshine and snooze. But of course no stay-cation is complete without a late morning pancake breakfast!
I’m excited to whip up these delicious pancakes, which you can enjoy without any of the carb and sugar guilt that sometimes accompanies pancakes. They’re vegan, protein-packed, and full of superfoods that are high in healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Don’t worry though, these pancakes definitely not all work and no play. The sweet berries, cacoa nibs, and drizzle of coconut cream will have you coming back for more!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp raw, local honey
- 1 flax egg (2tsp ground flax seed mixed with two tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 ¼ cup coconut milk (from a carton)
- 1 tbsp + 3 tsp melted coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup coconut cream (from a can)
- ½ cup toasted, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped berries
- ½ cup cocoa nibs
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, almond meal, oat flour, salt, and chia seeds. Add the honey, flax egg, almond butter, coconut milk and 1 tbsp melted coconut oil. Whisk until combined and all lumps are gone.
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle a dash of water into the pan— if it sizzles then your pan is hot enough to use! Pour about ½ cup of batter into the hot pan. Cook until edges begin to set, about 3 minutes, then flip to cook for 2 more minutes. Repeat until all of the batter is gone, adding more coconut oil to the skillet if necessary.
- Stack a couple of pancakes on each plate and top with toasted coconut, fresh butter, cocoa nibs, and a generous drizzle of coconut cream!