The Spring Cleanse You Haven't Tried Yet
With temperatures warming up, there’s been a lot of talk about spring cleaning—and spring cleanses! This makes sense, because cleansing your diet detoxifies and rejuvenates the body and helps prepare it for the lighter ingredients and warm weather ahead. But the transition to spring involves more than just food – there are vacations, blooming flowers, and a whole different state of mind.
To help prepare yourself for this new season, here’s a spring cleanse that I like to indulge in that has absolutely nothing to do with food. I encourage you to join me in preparing your body, mind, and spirit for a fun-filled summer!
- Get Naked… and I’m serious. Shed those heavy winter clothes, and give your skin a breather! We’ve been trapped in layer upon layer of clothing all winter long, and it’s time to give your body a chance to be free. In addition to the shower, allow yourself at least 1 hour alone to just hang out (literally) with your body. Get reacquainted with your skin, appreciate your beautiful body, and enjoy the feeling of being au naturel!
- Ditch the heavy foundations and bronzers and freshen up your makeup routine. Our faces have been piled up with heavy creams, liquids, and powders all winter long, and it’s time to let your pores breathe! The sun is now strong enough to absorb vitamin D in the Northern Hemisphere, and can give you a natural, healthy glow. Just don’t forget to apply sunscreen to avoid overexposure and sunburn.
- Listen to some summertime tunes. Just like we listen to Christmas music to get in the holiday spirit, now’s the time to listen songs that remind you of the sun, sand and sea. They don’t necessarily have to be about summer either; they just need to evoke that association in you! Some of my favorites include, “Eyes of the World,” by the Grateful Dead, “Good Vibrations,” by The Beach Boys, and “Island in the Sun,” by Weezer. Music is not only healing, but it gives you a mood boost. If you listen to one of these songs right now, I guarantee you will experience a moment of delight.
- Rise and meditate with the sun. The earth is waking up earlier and blooming with light. Birds are chirping, and the sun is shining through your bedroom window earlier each day. Morning time is personally my favorite time of day, so I like to wake up with the sun and begin my routine of skin brushing, yoga, and meditation. With the sun energizing the earth outside, it’s the perfect time to reflect and bring positive light to the day ahead.
- Get outside and get active. Being cooped up and limited to indoor workouts all winter can be constricting and leave us feeling bored and antsy (unless you were one of the brave ones running out in the cold!). Outdoor activities are unlimited, give you a deeper sense of accomplishment, and best of all are free! A few of my favorites include trail racing, hiking, and kayaking.
Spring is a time of renewal, a time to be reborn with the earth and embark on a fresh new season. By following the tips on my no-food-involved “cleanse,” you’ll help yourself prepare for the warmer weather, both inside and out.
Do you have your own personal “cleansing” tips? Please share them in the comments below!