Use Your Vacation To Connect To Your True Self
Ahh, vacation—A time to kick back, relax, and allow yourself to be who you truly are, and no one else. Too often, we get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of our daily lives that we forget to connect with ourselves on a personal level. Take a minute to think about the last time you were truly alone with yourself, not running errands, working, or going over your mile long to-do list in your head.
If you’re like most of us, it was a long time ago.
With summer kicking off, you likely have a vacation coming up where you can get more of these moments. Of course, that does mean adding more tasks to your never- ending to-do list—packing, researching, planning and budgeting—but once departure day arrives, you’re ready to relax and enjoy yourself.
Being on vacation is great for many reasons. You get to take a break from your everyday life, have fun, and, if you’re going somewhere sunny, get your daily doses of Vitamin D. But maybe most importantly, you’re given an opportunity to complete let go of the any negative habits, hang-ups, or insecurities. Think of it this way: when you’re on vacation, you’re also on a vacation from anything that holds you back in daily life. You can be whoever you want to be with no judgments or inhibitions. And along the way, you’ll also learn a lot about who you are and what you want out of life.
To get the most out of your vacation and use it as a way to jumpstart a journey of self-exploration and transformation, try some of these inspiring, vacation-friendly, and fun tips:
- Write in a journal. Journaling on vacation will allow you to discover new thoughts and dreams in a completely relaxed state of mind. Your brain can wander into new territory to discover new feelings and aspirations.
- Meditate. When you’re on vacation, you’re bound to find a few minutes to yourself each day. This is the perfect chance to sit in a comfortable place, shut off your thoughts and concerns for a while, and just simply be.
- Laugh at yourself. You know that funky dress you purchased that your friends at home would make fun of you for? Now is the perfect time to throw it on and strut your stuff. If you happen to look silly, laugh it off and enjoy it.
- Spend time loving, not judging. As hard as it is to admit, we all judge each other sometimes. Use your vacation as an opportunity to consciously see the beauty in everyone and everything, rather than the negative.
- Face one of your fears. Vacation is not the time for self-reservations; it’s the time to face your fears head on. If you’re afraid of heights but have always wanted to zip line across the jungle, here is your big chance to let loose and go for it!
Vacation is the perfect time to slow things down a bit and connect with yourself on a deeper level. And the best part is that you get to have fun while doing it! Jump out of your comfort zone a bit, and watch as your comfort zone gets larger and larger. You’ll grow as a person, and ground your roots deeper into yourself.
You’re human, which means you are unique and have your own story to write. You have thoughts and dreams and fears, and every inch of you should be explored authentically. A trip is the perfect time to write (or rewrite) this story and let your true self shine through.
How have deeply connected with your true self lately? Share in the comments below!